FM wieght of weapons & distribution

IL-2 Modding help (not 3D modding):
Forum rules
IL-2 Modding help (not 3D and mapping help).
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

FM wieght of weapons & distribution

Post by dr strangelove » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:00 pm

I am slowly working on update for Hurricane II-D
I want to make the flight model more accurate because the current one is not, its way too manuvrable, no added armour & mainly there is no real added wieght for the 40mm cannons, I understand the hooks & ammunition will count as correctly distributed wieght but what about wieght of the cannons themself?

...& So my question is
How do I correctly model the additional wieght for the 40 mm cannons attached to wings?

Thanks
Mick

Re: FM wieght of weapons & distribution

Post by Mick » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:41 pm

... I don't know about the Hurri 40 mm gun pods weight, but I remember, way back in the ancient times, HaDeS found out that the Bf109 20mm gondolas weight was very exagerated in the game, around 465 kg if my memory doesn't fail me ...

So may be you should take a look in the code, about the 20mm Bf109 gondolas ... ;)
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

Post by dr strangelove » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Ok thanks Mick !
will check it out
Ice_Eagle
FM Special Modder

Post by Ice_Eagle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 am

Well the roll rate, & rate of climb will be affected for one. Overall speed reduced prolly around 15-20 mph. Higher landing speeds, increased takeoff distance etc., etc.
Unless you're just wondering weight affected the CoG without the previous mentioned things. To that, not really other then placing the weight below the AC centerline.
Akrivós epeidí chásate to spíti sas den simaínei óti boreíte na ourísete stin avlí mou
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

Post by dr strangelove » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:20 pm

But how do I make the weight & wieght distribution realistic for the huge cannons under the wings? :|

Thanks
Ice_Eagle
FM Special Modder

Post by Ice_Eagle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Make Wingmid_do weaker (or where ever on the wing they hang) weaker.. say from 5g to 3g. I wouldn't know how to code that. just throwing out ideas.
Akrivós epeidí chásate to spíti sas den simaínei óti boreíte na ourísete stin avlí mou
Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:23 pm

... Epervier told me this is how it works :

1) integrated weapons:

like, say, 6 or 8 MGs, their weight is integrated to the AC total weight, and ammo have a weight, each and every cartridge, whatever their caliber ...

2) special weapons:

like the ones carried under a pylon or rack.Some of them are found in Class com.maddox.il2.fm.Mass. This new class was provided with old Tempest mods for ex, but since this class can't be edited each and every time modder x or y decides to release a new weapon, then the best solution is to add the weight of the pods in the code of the AC ...

But of course nobody can be certain this has been duly done with each and every new plane or new armament ...

Example, what about the Ju-87Gs and their 37mm BK anti tank gondola guns ...?

Only one thing is sure, their shells weight 680 g each, because it's in the MGunBK37JU87 code ... ! ;)
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

Post by dr strangelove » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:42 am

Ice_Eagle wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 pm
Make Wingmid_do weaker (or where ever on the wing they hang) weaker.. say from 5g to 3g. I wouldn't know how to code that. just throwing out ideas.
Ok, i understand , thansk for suggestion
Mick wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:23 pm
... Epervier told me this is how it works :

1) integrated weapons:

like, say, 6 or 8 MGs, their weight is integrated to the AC total weight, and ammo have a weight, each and every cartridge, whatever their caliber ...

2) special weapons:

like the ones carried under a pylon or rack.Some of them are found in Class com.maddox.il2.fm.Mass. This new class was provided with old Tempest mods for ex, but since this class can't be edited each and every time modder x or y decides to release a new weapon, then the best solution is to add the weight of the pods in the code of the AC ...

But of course nobody can be certain this has been duly done with each and every new plane or new armament ...

Example, what about the Ju-87Gs and their 37mm BK anti tank gondola guns ...?

Only one thing is sure, their shells weight 680 g each, because it's in the MGunBK37JU87 code ... ! ;)
ok, i think i need to read this again when ive rested

in past few days ive tried to add the weight but only to fm empty & take-off as an overall, i understand the ammo is weight that is added & correctly distributed
thanks, will check the mass.java, will find a weapon with mass code & try adding.

on side note, ive got the 40mm cannons recoil animating & they look really cool, i borrowed the method from the mosquito tse, seems to migrate nicely, hopefully wont have any issues with this

mucho thankso to you both for the assistance !

Return to “Modding Help (not 3D)”