Reflective Mirrored Glass on Gauges

Place for IL2 related videos (only vids)
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

Reflective Mirrored Glass on Gauges

Post by dr strangelove » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 pm

my attempt
mirrored reflective glass on gauges
*Only main 6 middle gauges in this video

... also in low light have a v-nice slight luminosity which gives gauges more realistic + because light / colours etc is constantly changing in reflections

well i think its looks COOL ! :D
& im definitely adding this to most glass gauges for Spitfire VII
Online Servers http://il2.com.ru/en/links.php
AleXServer Dogfight Server IP = 217.78.176.50:21000 (by HL or Direct Connect)
WxTech

Re: Reflective Mirrored Glass on Gauges

Post by WxTech » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:17 am

Doc,
What is it we see as reflected? It kind of looks like the landscape/sky, in a more 'washed out', low contrast way than as reflected by a highly reflective mirror.

If so, this implies that the hull of the plane is transparent. Based on the gauge locations and the look angle from the pilot's POV, we should be seeing reflections of the pilot's shins and the lower seat. If we are seeing the outside scenery in reflection here, that would mean the seat and any other material under and behind the seat is treated as invisible.

The intensity of gauge reflections should be strongest when the Sun is shining into the 'pit from above and forward, where the parts seen in reflection would be most strongly illuminated. This is the approach I took for my P-39 cockpit work.

Suppose the X, Y and Z axes for the gauge textures were oriented toward the Left, Back and Up, respectively. In the usual treatment of gauge textures, then, the surface normals would all be "0 1 0". In other words, because the gauge face is oriented directly rearward (Y = 1), it would be most strongly illuminated when the Sun (or other light source) was shining from directly behind the plane.

But this is odd, because the cockpit admits light most directly from the upper direction. And for reflections to be most apparent, the objects seen in reflection must be well illuminated. With the Sun shining from behind, much of the 'pit is in shadow. Particularly those parts facing more forward. They would be better illluminated when the Sun is shining in from above, and somewhat forward. Therefore, if we choose a maximal illumination angle for the 'pit elements seen in reflection as 30 degrees forward of the straight down direction, our surface normals go from the usual (and naive) "0 1 0" to the more appropriate "0 -0.5 0.866". (I do this in my head because of a few years of building 3-D objects in a spreadsheet, where I must visualize the orientations and do the trig.)

Now, my reflections are static textures, unlike your dynamic approach. Perhaps you cannot exert control over the surface normal orientation that is so simple for the more usual texturing I utilized.
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

Re: Reflective Mirrored Glass on Gauges

Post by dr strangelove » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Sigh...

Tech, please, really I'm just not interested in your methods etc, do your thing & I do mine, others will make their mind up what they like.
You're following my posts around and posting negative posts, I think a term for this ? It's getting a little rediculous.
I've asked you many times now & only the other day so please be a little respectful & finally stop doing this.

All ...
Reflective surfaces do look & feel more natural with this kind of reflectivity but getting it just right will take a little time & new code is needed for some surfaces.
If people want to try this, a final version will be an option for Spit 7.
Online Servers http://il2.com.ru/en/links.php
AleXServer Dogfight Server IP = 217.78.176.50:21000 (by HL or Direct Connect)

Return to “IL2 Videos”