Fw190A cowl ring details not showing

Request your IL2 Skins here:
Mick

Re: Fw190A cowl ring details not showing

Post by Mick » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am

... the counterweights seen in Bestekampfpilot drawing, fitted to VDM 9-12153A propellers that equipped FW190A8 and A9 series, and that can be also seen in the first seconds of the vid I posted, and also are very obvious at 2.12' and 2.36' ... ;)

Looks like these counterweights were "retractable" and only deployed according to RPMs ... ;)

Barnesy
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Barnesy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:01 am

deploy from where? counterweight to what ?
looks more like a tool for locking the blades to me
the vdm system does not use counter weights
Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm

... never heard of them, prior to Bestekampfpilot's post, so made a search and the (rare) results are not even sure about their purpose ... :roll:

What is sure is that they did exist ... ;)

Barnesy
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Barnesy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 pm

looking at those pics i am even more convinced they are either for Blade adjustment or fitting or for locking the blade in transit
there is no way that would still be bolted to the prop in use
for starters the variable pitch would not work
the movie appears to be americans assembling the 190's i think for testing at home
so i think the item is for fitting the blades or something from the transit
Ice_Eagle
FM Special Modder

Post by Ice_Eagle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:15 pm

For the FW-190-A:

"The weights are a sub component of the propeller blade as listed in the Ersatzteilliste and are delivered to the Luftwaffe with the blade.
However they are only used if the 115 liter tank is to be installed. If the tank is not installed, the weights come off.
They correct the CG. Otherwise the CG is too far rearward with the tank."
Akrivós epeidí chásate to spíti sas den simaínei óti boreíte na ourísete stin avlí mou
Bestekampfpilot58

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Hey Barnesy, Ice_Eagle, Mick etc,

I see that my drawing caused a bit of a brew up, as to whether or not if these 'weights' were real OR what they were used for? ;)
Mick has found several sites that I found about 4 days ago, namely this one, https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p ... ify.32274/
which shows several photos of these VDM blades in a apparent museum setting?..

Here are some comments from that site, and that page..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I have seen several of these weights on Fw 190 props we excavated. I believe they counter act unwanted vibration in the prop."

"Yes, the weights are for balancing the prop blade, and can be seen clearly on some props which don't have a spinner covering the hub.
They are often in the form of a disc, rather like an ice-hockey puk, and are known as 'bob weights'."

"So those "weights" were used as counterweights if one prop blade has less weight than the other two, right?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you look at this site , https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6567 ... P-47-lands

if you stop the film at 5 seconds you will see the nose of a strange Fw190a-6/8 hybrid that was crashed by Lt Bruce Carr when He could not get the
landing gear down..If you look at the still frame you will SEE a counter weight on the top of the propeller! Which means that it was in place WHEN the
plane was flying! All of the Fw190s shown here are from may 1945..

Bruce Carr story here..
https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/inde ... 18-fw-190/

(Bruce carr, Focke-Wulf 190, a hybrid A-6/A-8, red 31+ ~)

I've known about these VDM counter weights since I bought this magazine named ' Airfoil', in the year 1984!! This issue of Airfoil
'The Case of the ‘Stolen’ Fw 190!”, Airfoil, Vol.1, No.2, Spring 1984, pp.30-31' covered the story of Bruce Carr.
In fact I was (am) going to do a profile of the Hybrid Fw190a that Bruce Carr flew that day. I just wanted to FIND! some clear photos
OR drawings!!! of the VDM counter weights!! But as Mick said "RARE RESULTS!" (Just like finding Hens teeth!?) :( :o
I STILL have that copy of Airfoil today, it's lying about 'somewhere?' :?:

Some VDM bladed Fw190s here...
search for White 40, search for Hybrid, search for FE-115, all Fw190s with propeller blade weights on this page ...
silverhawkauthor.com/german-warplanes-flown-by-the-luftwaffe-19391945-fockewulf_637.html

I did find some 1/32nd scale Fw190A/F VDM propellers images on-line that are pretty clear and they are a help. But I'm not building any model planes
anymore, although about 20+ years ago I did...I've also seen quite a few wrecked Fw190 photos after ww2 that showed these VDM props that carried
the blade counter weights...
Anyway, my two cents!
Thanks guys!
Cheers!!

P.S. before I forget, the American Pilot, who flew the Fw190 in the critical past film?, he passed away recently, in November of 2018..
His name was Fred M. Fehsenfeld. I salute him! 🇺🇸 🎖️
Transit umbra, lux permanet

Horrido!
Barnesy
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Barnesy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 am

well you learn something new every day :lol:
i stand corrected who knew?
cheers barnesy :P
Bestekampfpilot58

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:28 am

Hey gents,
here is my latest 'attempt' (cough) at a profile of the Fw190A-10..I never did find any
useful info on the Fw190 propeller blade counter weights..I'll keep looking..

I'm not entirely satisfied with how this looks, could be better. :oops: I'm getting 'there!'
Whether PS or Gimp, any paint program is a challenge to me, compared to a LOT of Cad
programs which usually are easy(!) for me, but I'm learning, slowly!

BUT!, I'm going to see if I can do a Barnesy Bf109G skin next week! Fingers crossed!! :shock: 🤞

Cheers!

Horrido!
Bestekampfpilot58

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:40 am

Hey Gents,
Been a while since I posted here. I have some bad news that I just found out today, about a hour ago.
The free image hosting service, Tinypic which I've been using, is closing down this year! Not sure WHEN they are closing
this year? So, any day now, my images could suddenly go 'POOF', and disappear!! Tinypic does mention
their sister website, photo-bucket. Is that a good site to use? I've not been too active with Il2 recently
had some eye issues crop up last month, burning dry eye's :( , so didn't really feel like looking at my computer
screen too much.. :(
Plus when I started to poke around with Gimp, a LOT of the old BS 'not functioning' aspects of Gimp popped up! :x
Namely in the way of adding text, Gimp just would not work!! Made me feel like a fool!!! :evil:

Anyway, here is a different Fw190A-10 that I picked at some weeks ago, I had wanted to add text to this plane, but
after 30+ minutes of Gimps text function NOT working, I said to hell wit it and just pasted in a Chevron.
I was TRYING to add in some stencils, but when cutting and pasting the stencils would SMEAR and look like crap (💩!)
then too I could NOT add text, so gave it up, at least for the time being... :roll:
The Fw190 doesn't look TOO bad(?) in Spite of gimp...
Cheers!

Horrido!
Barnesy
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Barnesy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:43 am

looking great bestkampf :o

Return to “Skin/Template Request”