Fw190A cowl ring details not showing

Request your IL2 Skins here:
Bestekampfpilot58

Re: Fw190A cowl ring details not showing

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 am

Hey Guys,
I wasn't too happy with some of the Fw190s that I drafted up in the past, some of the details on the Fw190s are messed up, (I think so) and
none of them have a picture with a landing gear..
SO, I was looking around hither and yon trying to find GOOD intel on better, more accurate details, AND a CLEAR side view
of the Fw190 landing gear extended..
I didn't find much, but I did manage to cobble together a rough view of the Fw190D-9 with the landing gear extended..
I think it looks 'OK',? :? I HOPE the main gear angle is right? I want to in future to fit ALL the planes that I draft up with a extended
landing gear..
I wanted to paint up in Gimp a view of the Fw190a or D in a parked position, with canopy open, and with stains and grease on the aircraft
to make it more immersive..I'm getting close to doing that, but I NEED good intel, which is the bane of this type of work..You know the
old saying?, 'garbage in garbage out!.. :lol:

Anyway, I'm still picking at Gimp! :( ;)
Cheers!

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Horrido!
Ice_Eagle
FM Special Modder

Post by Ice_Eagle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:41 am

Akrivós epeidí chásate to spíti sas den simaínei óti boreíte na ourísete stin avlí mou
Bestekampfpilot58

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am

Ice_Eagle, Mick,
Thanks guys for the info!! 👍 Some of the planes I recognized, some I did not..
I did manage to find what I was looking for to discover that the angle of the
Fw190 landing was just a tad off, not even worth bothering to fix, at least from the
the source that I used..I hope it's accurate!?
I'm going to see if I can run these two Fw190d's through Gimp, and see what I can churn out?
Hope for the best! :shock:
THANKS again guys!! 8-)
Cheers! 🖖

Horrido!
Bestekampfpilot58

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:57 am

Hey guys,

So it looks like I FINALLY managed to get the ALL layers in my Fw190D-9 drawing to show in the background layer? :D :o :shock: :lol:
Does this look right?, WHY are the colors so muted? When I'm done working on this Fw190D, then I merge all the
layers into one, right? I've tried different settings for opacity with some weird results!! I also changed the foreground color in the
background layer to a light gray which helps to make the stencils layer 'pop' out some..Any comments, suggestions, ideas?

This was only a TEST drawing, when I get my technique 'perfected' then I can do some GOOD! work!!
But, Man! Gimp is HARD to use!! Whooo!!! :evil: :!: I almost quite using it last night, but gave it one more chance, after I found a
website that explained things a little differently..

Anyways, Cheers!

Horrido!
Ice_Eagle
FM Special Modder

Post by Ice_Eagle » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Save it as a jpg / bmp / png / dds / etc it'll flatten all the layers for you. BTW, people who have been using gimp for years still get frustrated by it.
Akrivós epeidí chásate to spíti sas den simaínei óti boreíte na ourísete stin avlí mou
Bestekampfpilot58

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:33 am

Hey Guys, Hey Ice_Eagle,

Thanks by the way for the positive comments!, appreciate it!! :D I.E, keep on trying, etc..Yah I know that even old time users of
Gimp do get p.o. at it, but I'm not (yet!) a Gimp old timer!! Be that as it may it behooves me to meet the Gimp challenge
and master it..Making layers work a few days ago was a HUGE step, and I know I can replicate the same process now, and try to
really stream line it so I can go FAST!!!! All this is just the method that I'm using to work up to skinning, hopefully soon? I'm
been planning to get a new computer, but last year that failed because of CAR repairs!!! 💲💲 Gotta have a car! I was planning on
buying a new pc, or I could build my own, as I AM computer savvy, having used computers since June 1988!!
I have plans to eventually buy the on-line game IL-2 BOS game, have you seen the new FW190D-9 there!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
When it's flying it looks like ARTWORK!!! Whoooo!! 8-) 8-) :o :o :o

SO, I drafted up this Fw190A-10, opened the canopy, lowered the landing gear, and I'll put it into Gimp, and I HOPE
that I can produce some nice work..I hope! ;) BTW, There may be some slight errors in this Fw190, I don't have ANY drawings
with dimensions to work with...! :roll:

I WISH that I could use Gimp with the same SPEED and EASE that I use Cad!! :lol: !

Cheers!

Horrido!
Bestekampfpilot58

Post by Bestekampfpilot58 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am

Hey guys,

Stopped off briefly to ask several questions, about some problems I've been having with finding info that I need, and questions about stencils..

So I've included a .png of the nose of a Fw190A-9 that I've been working on. I've been looking ALL over the net trying to find photos of late war
Fw190A-9's and Fw190F-9's that had counter weights on their Wide bladed props...The props were VDM 9-12153A propellers..I've found a FEW photos
of these props with the balance weights, but the info was either in the form of a old WW2 film dealing with captured Fw190's after the end of the
war, or in the form of model aircraft, or old photos that were POOR in detail..This drawing is a GUESS on my part as to how these prop counter
weights would have looked... :?

Does any here know of any CLEAR photos or better yet any tech drawing of these props with the counter weights? I want to SUPER detail my Fw190 cad drawings
as much as I can..But there's not much info out 'there!'

I do have Gimp figured out, and it's working well except for a recent snafu that was caused by me d/l a video card update for my pc, that caused ALL
of Gimps keyboard short cuts to show as 'Disabled!' That threw me off course for about 2 days until I noticed the error message, and traced it back to
my vid card software..The solution? Add NEW keyboard shortcuts, and/or change the shortcuts to the same format as Adobe Photoshop, which is
what I'm doing..This situation had me MAD for a while, I thought ANOTHER Gimp snafu!! :roll:

Lastly, does any one here know of any Fw190 stencils in a .psd format? In particular the landing gear stencils. I have found some stencils that work fairly
well, at least UNTIL you rotate them in Gimp, then they disintegrate, and are worthless! Plus any type of stencil will invariably show up VERY light in color
and hard to see. I did discover that when I traced over these stencils in Gimp, and make them darker, they looked ok?, I guess? But what a PAIN to do that! :(
I have attempted to re-create some of these stencils in cad, but they are hard to scale down to match. I'm sure I can re-create the stencils, but it's time consuming
to say the least!! I could have them rotated in Cad, so from that point they SHOULD work in Gimp? But, until I re-create them, I won't know if they work! :cry:

I've created several color profiles of the Fw190A-10, and I think they look pretty good! ;) I'm busy finishing up some head on views of the Bf109G and K models...
I'll show some profiles here, probably next week?..But for now I want to resolve the 'stencil' issue and try and scare up some info on these
Fw190 VDM 9-12153A propellers!
Any help is greatly appreciated! :D
Thanks Guys! Cheers!

Horrido!
Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:11 pm

... I found this, and it looks like theses counterweights were retractable, and only came out according to RPM ... ;)

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archive/i ... 21631.html

Also briefly visible in the first seconds of this video ...

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6567 ... P-47-lands
Barnesy
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Barnesy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 am

sorry guys but what counter weights? most ww2 Luftwaffe fighters used VDM Electric variable pitch control 190's and 109's in particular
mechanical pitch control props use FLY weights to regulate the amount of pitch as engine rpm increases
the allies used mechanical on earlier types until the Rotol and Curtis hydraulic and electric types were installed

http://aviationarchaeology.gr/wp-conten ... ectric.pdf

Return to “Skin/Template Request”