Editing FM settings

IL-2 Modding help (not 3D modding):
Forum rules
IL-2 Modding help (not 3D and mapping help).
Pierrekie

Editing FM settings

Post by Pierrekie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi Guys

I joined a while ago and have only now plucked up the courage to introduce myself and actually ask for assistance.
I am from South Africa and a child of the 80's, which probably means "Have Patience please "
Currently trying to teach myself modding the game, as I love the game and creating things.
I know there is much to learn and I'll probably die of old age, without reaching a 10th of the capabilities of most of the experts here :D

I do know a bit of 3d modeling and sculpting, but by no means expert level stuff. Java is Greek to me at this stage.

I play IL2 1946 ver 4.12.2 with SAS Engine MOD western Full-pack and Jet Age.

My question is in regards to a C130 mod by Western and Vega I recently downloaded and which I noticed have sound problems, now learning how to mod the game as I am, I quickly googled and scanned everything I could find on editing the C130 FM. I downloaded Mike's Ntrk Wizard V5, because I have a Win 10 system and the other proggy here does not work for me. I resolved the C130 FM file and two hashed type files appear, which I take is the Fmd and Emd, but how do I resolve these two files so I can have access to the content thereof with a text editor and how would one re-compile it back into a FM file.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I feel stupid at this moment and is trying to do something about it.
I tried searching Google for an answer, but could not find anything really applicable, so a bit of information will be much appreciated.
greybeard

Re: Editing FM settings

Post by greybeard » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 am

Please find here relevant tools:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=237#p279

as stated in the message, you must use the 4.09 tool also for 4.12.

HTH
FM Modding Expert

Post by dr strangelove » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

I resolved the C130 FM file and two hashed type files appear, which I take is the Fmd and Emd
If you're talking your files looked something like this ...

Sounds like you got past the first stage , well done , however ...
Now you will need the all important correct names of both the FM (.fmd) & also the EM (.emd) , then you will need to put those correct names into the filelist.txt
If you do not know the correct name of the .fmd file , you will need to find out the name from either the author or from the Java itself.
Once you have the correct name , put that correct name into the filelist.txt & try again , this time if you have everything right instead of 2 files (or more depending) with only numbers, you will have extracted the correct the Flight Model correctly with its correct name.
After this it is easy to obtain the name of the correct EM engine model name from inside the FM. Then put this name also (.emd) into your filelist.txt & try again, this time you should have all files as .fmd & .emd.

The quickest way to find out the correct FM name without using a decompiler etc etc .... is just use a simple Hex editor
You can download a free hex editor here (click download button at top )
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm
Drag the java file onto xvi32.exe & search for .fmd
This will point you correct name
Pierrekie

Post by Pierrekie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Thank you very much for taking time to respond and help.

Greybeard:
Thank you I did download the tool, but it gave me the cannot run.....on an AMD machine etc. error message that I see other people with Win 64 versions in previous posts also had.
I luckily found a workaround, which is, download ntrkwizard 5 by Mike at SAS,it has its own java environment i.e a Java folder and Java.exe, which I copied into the 4.09 tool folder and the program (by com prompt and both batch files)now runs without any error messages.
Doc:
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, which I followed and viola up popped the Lockheed C-130.fmd (P.s I obtained the fmd name through a proggy by the name of Jode Decompiler :D. Thanks a bunch for your great videos and tools)

Gentlemen I really appreciate the manner and the attitude with which you offered me assistance, this really is a great community and I'am glad to be part of it. Who knows in future I might be able to contribute, but for now back to learning.

Regards
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

Post by dr strangelove » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Gentlemen I really appreciate the manner and the attitude with which you offered me assistance, this really is a great community and I'am glad to be part of it. Who knows in future I might be able to contribute, but for now back to learning.
Hello Pierrekie . You are very welcome !
Great to have you in the community, in what ever way that may be. If i or others can help we will try
Happy New Year to you ! :)
My IES Page : https://archive.org/details/IES_v3.5_Mods_Page
Online Servers http://il2.com.ru/en/links.php
AleXServer Dogfight Server IP = 217.78.176.50:21000 (by HL or Direct Connect)
Pierrekie

Post by Pierrekie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:51 am

Thank you, same to you all and your families :D

Return to “Modding Help (not 3D)”