Sidewider Drag

IL-2 Modding help (not 3D modding):
Forum rules
IL-2 Modding help (not 3D and mapping help).
Tyger
Site Admin/FM Team

Sidewider Drag

Post by Tyger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 am

A couple of us are doing some work on a Mirage for 4.09 & have almost finished.

We had hoped to have done an air to air variant to add to it's weapons choices - only problem is to arm it with eight sidewinder seems to create so much drag that it's just not a feasible option (four is border line) We don't think it's a weight thing but are happy to be corrected.

So is this a drag thing? ... & if so does anyone know how to eliminate it?

I am strongly in favour of common sense, common honesty, and common decency, this makes me forever ineligible for public office.

Wolves care nothing for the opinions of sheep - be a Wolf in life.

ton414
Site Admin/FM Team

Re: Sidewider Drag

Post by ton414 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 am

I think the related to drag for this you can find it in "computeParasiteDrag" in the Squares class, and you also have to consider the pylons, I think you also should consider everything related to the weight.
dr strangelove
FM Modding Expert

Post by dr strangelove » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:05 pm

ton414 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 am
I think the related to drag for this you can find it in "computeParasiteDrag" in the Squares class, and you also have to consider the pylons, I think you also should consider everything related to the weight.

As ton says to consider Pylons ,

i can not remember who it was who told me , it was a real life pilot who explained that the Pylon drag within IL2 he felt was too much even for Prop aircraft in IL-2
I do not know ? but even very small pylons seem to make a noticeable difference

good luck porting the Mirage Tyger ! :)
My IES Page : https://archive.org/details/IES_v3.5_Mods_Page
Online Servers http://il2.com.ru/en/links.php
AleXServer Dogfight Server IP = 217.78.176.50:21000 (by HL or Direct Connect)
Tyger
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Tyger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Cool - thank you chaps ... pylons are our own so we know there is no weight penalty with those ;) ... will let Ghost figure the Squares class thing - thanks Ton :)
I am strongly in favour of common sense, common honesty, and common decency, this makes me forever ineligible for public office.

CWatson
FM Modding Expert

Post by CWatson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Tyger wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:09 pm
Cool - thank you chaps ... pylons are our own so we know there is no weight penalty with those ;) ... will let Ghost figure the Squares class thing - thanks Ton :)

This was an issue with your fictional Typhoon variant. To eliminate drag and weight penalties for the pylon you have to make sure this line "public class PylonMirage extends Pylon" is changed to "PylonMirage extends PylonRO_82_1".

Another way to do away with drag and weight from the pylons is to make them meshes attached via the hier him, and make them hidden when not used in the plane's classfile.

I am not sure about weight and drag of the Sidewinder class is, but to eliminate the drag aspect you can try this, I have not tried it yet myself, in the planes class under the Aircraft.weaponHooksRegister section, if the Sidewinder are using _ExternalBomb or _ExternalRock, you should change to _BombSpawn and rename the corresponding hooks in the meshes to match.

I know _BombSpawn is to represent things carried in an internal bay and would have no drag.

I hope this helps,
CWatson
"To keep the animals around you at bay you must be willing to be a monster."

"When burning bridges, leave them with one impression, how pretty the colors were."
Tyger
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Tyger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 am

Thanks CW - yes I remember the fix you did for the Typhoon - which continues to get a lot of use with the squad btw :)

Cheers for the info re the Sidewinders - will pass that on & keep you posted on results .... much appreciated :D

Tyger
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by Tyger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 am

"computeParasiteDrag" in the Squares class

Seems this was the area that affects the drag generated ... Ghost hasn't got back to me with what he did yet but he altered a few figures & it's improved the flight profile / power to speed when carrying sidewinders.

Another benefit it seems is that it's also done the same to other aircraft that carry other rocket types meaning they're also handling a lot nicer - & no it doesn't make the aircraft a super mod ... it just allows for a subtle improvement in being able to carry an additional set of sidewinders (or rockets) without making you crawl through the air.

Thank you chaps ... & thank you Ton :D

ton414
Site Admin/FM Team

Post by ton414 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm glad, Ghost is a true master of that there is no doubt. ;)
Beowolff

Post by Beowolff » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 pm

A VERY nice plane, Tyger... really nice. Yes, squares section (if I remember) will certainly effect this as I'm sure you know by now... Also, as you already mentioned, pylons effect it (though maybe not your problem here when it was a problem, eh?) :D

Both I and CY6 discovered long ago that within the game, PYLONS were real nut-grinders when it came to weight (and drag.) Heck, we had some stock planes with pylons that had a 'fourth' of the weight and drag of the entire plane! Not kidding! Obviously an oversight from the IL2 game-maker's team!

We instigated things with UP and CirX to see if this could be resolved and I think to a large part it was... but, who knows somewhere a few old planes/pylons may be lugging around a crazy amount of extra luggage. :?

Glad you got you nice jet sorted, Tyger! :D
Just Play The Game!!

Return to “Modding Help (not 3D)”