Radiator flaps control and "PropAnglerType"

IL-2 Modding help (not 3D modding):
Forum rules
IL-2 Modding help (not 3D and mapping help).
greybeard

Radiator flaps control and "PropAnglerType"

Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am

Hi,

I read on "Messerschmitt Bf109" by P. Blackah and M.V. Lowe (Haynes Publishing 2009) that Bf 109E did have only manual control of radiator flaps, unlike following Bf 109G, featuring automatic control by a thermostatic device.

In this like several previous occasions where propeller control is automatic but radiator is manual, I wonder how to model this, since AFAIK there is only one command in the relevant EMD to manage, that is:

cRadiator 1

whilst to get automatic controlled airscrew I know only two possibilities:

PropAnglerType 7 (Messerschmitt Komandgerat)
PropAnglerType 8 (Focke Wulfe Komandgerat)

Unfortunately, these latter choices causes unavoidably the radiator controlled automatically :evil: , that I would not.

Curiously, the combination I'm seeking is by default that of Fw 190, but I'm unable to reproduce in any other plane... :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Radiator flaps control and "PropAnglerType"

Post by Dreamk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:50 am

1) The FW190 have a BMW-800 family engine - all these engines in the game have a PropAnglerType 8 or sometimes 7
2) I checked in the Motor class, ALL propangler types control indeed (to a different extent for each one) the radiator
greybeard

Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks, Dreamk, for the quick answer.

So, how the Fw 190 is the sole plane having independent radiator control notwithstanding the PropAnglerType 8 or 7 in its EMD? :?

Post by Dreamk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:16 pm

My understanding of the code in the motor class is that for propanglertype 7 or 8, automatic radiator control begins only when the tOilOut > tOilOutMaxRPM defined in the EM file of the engine used on the given aircraft. Till this point radiator control is done by the player. Now, in the EM files of the BMW800 egines family, we have generally TOILOUTMAXRPM 95 (=95 Celsius) and MAXRPMTIME 280 (=almost 5 minutes) - So till you run for 5 minutes at max rpm, you'll probably won't go over the point where the radiator control will become automatic. This is in theory, as the formulas used by the game for the calculation of tOilOut are sometimes let say "strange", and you may overheat before reaching the maxrpmtime.
greybeard

Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Still thanks, Dreamk, for the plain explanation. I find it intriguing, meaning that that I can set any manual value, being it overridden by auto just when needed. :o

I guess in that "strange" way to make use of algorithms, though, there is denying for only manual radiator control when propanglertype 7 or 8 is set... but the Fw 190. :shock:

I would have only avoided an historical inaccuracy, since there are aircraft that did have an automatic propeller but retaining only-manual control of radiator flap (or extension, like MS406). I think we can live with it. ;)

Cheers,
GB

Return to “Modding Help (not 3D)”